Baker Academic

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Happy Birthday Bultmann! - Le Donne

File:Rudolf Bultmann Portrait.jpgOn this date in 1884 Rudolf Bultmann was born.  There is perhaps no figure more influential and yet so misunderstood in the field of Jesus studies.  Cliff Kvidahl informed me via Facebook that his biography (now in English) is available on amazon for $10.

This biography was recommended to me by Gerd Theissen and opened my eyes to a number of features about his life and career that I had not known.  If nothing else, the book is worth a read for its juxtaposition of Bultmann against the "Aryan Jesus" ideologies that were gaining steam among his Nazi contemporaries.

You might also have a look at the chapters by Theissen, Winter, and Le Donne in this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Soundings-Religion-Jesus-Perspectives-Scholarship/dp/0800698010/

For more of my thoughts about Bultmann, see here.

-anthony


No comments:

Post a Comment